retired_queen: (The New Leda)
retired_queen ([personal profile] retired_queen) wrote in [community profile] fandomhigh2026-09-07 02:15 pm

Take a Hike!: Through Hiking For Beginners Mon. Sept 7

Leda's desk was littered with guidebooks, notepads and scraps of paper with lists and even a few grumblings. She herself though was doing a decent job of not looking frazzled when the students came in.

Her hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail revealing pointed ears, the right one missing a bit at the tip, and she was dressed casually in cargo pants, combat boots and a t-shirt that had a picture of Hera, Athena and Aphrodite in their poses from The Awakening of the Gods show in Sicily.

"Good morning." she greeted everyone. "My name is Leda Danan, and Fandom thinks it's funny. Full disclosure, we're going to be learning together. And since it's day one, and I only found out I'd be teaching this class the other day, we're going to start with introductions to give me a little extra time to get my shit together. And then we'll watch a thing.

"As I said, my name is Leda. I'm from Faerie, and I had the thought recently of hiking one of the big trails. Maybe the PCT, maybe the Appalachian Trail, or even the Camino de Santiago. See, like many people who do this sort of thing, I'm a crossroads. I lost my job, one I'd been doing for most of my life, so yeah. Also midlife-ish crisis.

"So, introduce yourself with your name, where you're from, if you're comfortable with that, and what's something that you think you should, or should not definitely bring on a hike? I'm from a world that has magic, so I'll probably be wearing some sort of talisman, or maybe some sort of healing balm for my feet. That might be cheating though."

Then she played them a youtube video about the five common mistakes made by beginner hikers.

It boiled down to:
1. Packing too much
2. Improper footwear
3. Pushing yourself too far, too soon
4. Too much food
5. Making too strict a plan

Leda was frowning at the mess on her desk by the time the video was done. She knew she'd been shaping up to make some of those mistakes already.
not_a_haint: (caleb is caleb)

Re: Sign In

[personal profile] not_a_haint 2026-09-07 07:13 pm (UTC)(link)
Caleb Dooley
thatsmysword: (henry x hey look there)

Re: Sign In

[personal profile] thatsmysword 2026-09-08 06:56 am (UTC)(link)
Henry of Skalitz
not_a_haint: (Default)

Re: Introduce Thyself

[personal profile] not_a_haint 2026-09-07 07:14 pm (UTC)(link)
"Uh, I'm Caleb Dooley, I'm from Kentucky, and I think somethin' t' ward off haints would definitely be a good idea. An' maybe a good walkin' stick."
thatsmysword: (henry rl x big eyes)

Re: Introduce Thyself

[personal profile] thatsmysword 2026-09-08 06:57 am (UTC)(link)
"I'm Henry of Skalitz," Henry proclaimed. "...From Skalitz. It's in, ah, Bohemia. 1403. And bread, I think? Can't do anything without a bit of bread in the morning."