intheeyeofthebeholding: (Default)
Jonathan Sims ([personal profile] intheeyeofthebeholding) wrote in [community profile] fandomhigh2026-07-21 12:20 pm
Entry tags:

D&D for beginners: Character creation

"Hello, everybody." Jon gave them an awkward wave. "Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons for beginners. If you're not familiar with it, Dungeons and Dragons, or D&D, is a roleplaying game. That means that you create a character, and then you play that character while the dungeon master - that will be me - tells you what the world the characters are in is like, and you decide what your character does.

"A lot of it is your decisions, and there is also a bit of chance, which is decided by dice." He brought out a set of dice. "There are different numbers of sides on them than you may be used to. If you've played before, you may have your own, but I've brought a few moddable sets for you to have if you need them." He poured out a bag of...well, small bags, because he was organized enough that each set was kept together so nobody had to hunt around.

"Generally, for D&D the game setting is more or less medieval, but with magic and a lot of non-human species and creatures, some of which you can play as. We'll go into that next class. For now, if you could all just state your name, what brought you to this class, and any experience you may have with games like this. Then get out your dice or choose a set and show us what you've chosen."

That was a good first class, right?
not_a_haint: (broody caleb is broody)

Re: Sign in!

[personal profile] not_a_haint 2026-07-21 09:47 pm (UTC)(link)
Caleb Dooley
wildgalegirl: (Wee tiny)

Re: Sign in!

[personal profile] wildgalegirl 2026-07-23 01:31 am (UTC)(link)
Charlie Gale
deathsmajesty: Katie McGrath as Morgana from Merlin (Smile - Teen Disheveled)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] deathsmajesty 2026-07-21 07:24 pm (UTC)(link)
While there had been an adult Liliana visibly dubious during the lecture, there was now a teenager in her place. She was still very recognizably Liliana, even if one ignored the purple eyes, but she'd lost much of her sophisticated, urbane polish. She was dressed all in white as befitting a cleric, her hair falling out of place, stains and smudges over her apron (and one on her nose) from the herbs she'd been tending.

"I'm Lili!" she said, giving everyone a bright smile. "I'm here because this is much better than learning whatever Lady Ana is going to be talking about this afternoon, but I don't have any experience in any of this stuff. But, ooh, look at these dice!" She'd hesitated briefly over one set, before plucking another.
deathsmajesty: Katie McGrath as Morgana from BBC's Merlin (Talking - Shhh)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] deathsmajesty 2026-07-21 07:49 pm (UTC)(link)
"...Let us never speak of that again," Liliana said, suddenly herself again and laying her finger over her lips. "Shhh."

She was going to get those proper dice, though.
deathsmajesty: Katie McGrath (Smirk - Sexy)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] deathsmajesty 2026-07-21 08:01 pm (UTC)(link)
"I'm always scandalous, darling," Liliana said, giving him a slow smile full of promise. "And, even moreso, dangerous."
deathsmajesty: Katie McGrath as Morgana from BBC's Merlin (Talking - Chin Lift)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] deathsmajesty 2026-07-22 03:46 am (UTC)(link)
"That's right you don't," Liliana informed him.
not_a_haint: (OOC Caleb is OOC)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] not_a_haint 2026-07-21 09:54 pm (UTC)(link)
The moment Caleb stood, he was suddenly slightly older, much more cheerful and bearded. "Hey nerds! My name is Wil Wheaton Caleb, I'm here because I love games and fantasy/Sci-Fi and though I haven't played D&D yet it sounds super fun! Though I have an odd suspicion I shouldn't touch any dice right at this moment, or at least, no one else should use any dice I've touched."
not_a_haint: (confused caleb is confused)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] not_a_haint 2026-07-21 10:13 pm (UTC)(link)
"What, is, happening?"
not_a_haint: (mellow caleb is mellow)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] not_a_haint 2026-07-21 10:55 pm (UTC)(link)
“Fandom whimsy?” Caleb guessed, suddenly feeling calmer.
not_a_haint: (confused caleb is confused)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] not_a_haint 2026-07-22 12:11 am (UTC)(link)
"Should I try my introduction again? That seemed out of character badum tsh for me."
not_a_haint: (broody caleb is broody)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] not_a_haint 2026-07-22 12:44 am (UTC)(link)
He hesitated just for a moment, as if waiting to see if he would go through another odd transformation.

"Alright, my name is Caleb, I ain't ever played Dungeons 'n Dragons before but I been researchin' popular culture'n such, catchin' up on the decades I skipped comin' here. It seems like fun. An' you c'n prob'ly disregard what I said about th' dice. I'm not sure what that was about."
wildgalegirl: (What?)

Re: Class activity

[personal profile] wildgalegirl 2026-07-23 01:33 am (UTC)(link)
"I'm Charlie, it sounded cool, some, and I can't decide on a set," Charlie said, looking a bit confused and annoyed for some unknown reason.